Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Denis Kilcommons: Ryan Gosling or a new Hotpoint - ladies, it’s your choice

THE sign in the Huddersfield shop window cheered me up no end: “Spring Fashion”, it said. The fact that the store was gearing up to sell lightweight clothes for balmy spring days was a message of hope.
Only last week I bought a new winter coat because my wife Maria had appropriated my fur lined Ben Sherman. I hadn’t noticed, as I usually travel by car and she catches the bus three times a week to go into town.
But on this occasion we had driven into town together, parked in the multi storey and by the time we reached BHS I realised I was in danger of frostbite in a sensitive area because I was wearing a wind cheater in what was brass monkey weather. My wife, meanwhile, was snug as a bug in a rug.
“That’s my coat,” I said.
“I know,” she said, without any qualms, hesitation or regret.
“But you’ve got at least two other winter coats. You've got a Dr Who overcoat and a Paddington Bear duffel coat.”
I should point out that these are not actually coats that are franchised by either character, just that they are similar in design.
“This is warmer.”
“I’m freezing.”
“You can always borrow my duffel coat.”
“I don’t like marmalade.”

No comments:

Post a Comment